Saturday, January 10, 2009

Irony of Using Blogs in the Comp Classroom

Some of the possible ironies of student blogs:

1. Students don't realize that they are in a public "space." They think no one reads their blog, not even the teacher. Thus, "Publicy."

2. It is not to write or reflect but to fill with MySpace stuff: all abbrevs, emoticons (smile, etc). Maybe cute but not reflective or literate.

3. It is not an online journal but a place to flatter the instructor.

4. It is a place to add posts: pure and simple cut and paste but nothing new.

5. Original but off track: has nothing to do with course, but does contain some writing that is not all pictures.

1 comment:

Debbie Suer said...

Hi
I think only a handful of us are actually using the BLOG. I, for one, am very new at this. In fact, I just also got on facebook and have connected with at least 15-20 old school friends from back home (Island Trees HS-Long Island, NY) Some of these people were even in my Kindergarten classes on.
It is very scary to think the whole world is watching, especially in this day and age. I just try to be careful and not say anything that would bring about some nutjob to scare the hell out of me. Maybe you can explain, and show some of our blogs on the overhead projectors to the ones who do not have a blog set up yet. ALSO-we need to have everyones .blogspot name. I only have been able to find Josh's and Peter's. Maybe you can send a paper around for us to get the names tomorrow. Anyway- I am having fun with it. See you tomorrow.
Debbie