Saturday, January 10, 2009

Syllabi alley

I have spent about two days, so it seems, rewriting my syllabi. I think I am finally there. Of course the syllabus is the main legal document of teaching and usually the only thing a college looks at anyway. Teaching is not the issue; the issue is looking good for accreditation and the state, that is all. As Ralph said, Teaching went out the door a long time ago. Well, actually I disagree and I take a more Socratic view of it all: it is not what you have written down; it's what you can do and how you can persuade.

So my great legal guia is done for now. Now let's get some mileage out of the damn thing and not work too hard the first few weeks!!!

While I know we are not independent contractors, well we are of course when it comes to copying, supplies, extras, some books and texts... of course when it comes to the syllabus, we are employees of the college, all of a sudden.

So to conclude, while I am trying to do something create, like write my paper about student blogs, or work on my novel, I am bored with my diss. research and preparing syllabi. that's the truth. Where is the creativity? Maybe I need a drink.

No comments: